Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mr. Postman, Do you have a letter for me?

I have been waiting for two packages and one letter for about three weeks now. Package number 1 was from my aunt. She mailed via UPS a Valentine's day care package 3 weeks ago. This package has yet to arrive, along with the letter that my boyfriend sent about the same time via regula USPS. Package number 2, however, from my mom via USPS, sent only two weeks ago has just arrived!

It looks like it survived a war though...
 

I was still very excited to get this package. I have been waiting for mail for soo long. And since sunscreen is apparently not something you can buy here, I desperately needed this. My pale skin does not handle this African sun very well.


So i knew the government here was very controlling, but I guess it never really hit home until this package came. I've seen the police stop cars for no reason, I've heard about the informants(regular people who sell every detail about their neighbors' lives to the government), but i still didn't fully understand. Now I do.

Not only was the package already opened, I had expected that much atleast, but the envelope with the card from my mom was opened. Someone ripped open the envelope and read my letter. It's not even a really personal letter, but I still feel slightly violated. These are the things that really make me appreciate the US.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so the stuff I have for you for Easter, ST pats and souvineers from Florida may not make it there until after ou leave!!! I think I'll wait until you get home to give to you. Some body is enjoying some really good candy and laughing at two monkeys who make kissy sounds when their lips are touched. Or they tore them up looking for hidden treasures.

    ReplyDelete