Saturday, April 16, 2011

St. Patrick's Church

Before everybody gets all excited, this is not about St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin. That post is coming later. This is about St. Patrick's Church in Cork which, in my opinion was equally as impressive as the Cathedral.


Tiffany and I were wondering around Cork and came across this church. We didn't think we would get a chance to attend mass at the cathedral in Dublin so we figured we could come back the next day and go to a week day mass here, they have a daily mass at 10 am. Mass was interesting to say the least. I don't go to week day masses very often and for some reason I completely forgot what they were like until we got there. It was me and Tiffany and about 10 older ladies and a very very very old priest. Mass was in English, but I can't tell you a single thing that was said. It also lasted only about 30 minutes. This guy was speeding through his readings. I almost feel bad for him, and all the other priests who should probably retire, but there isn't anyone to replace them sadly. That is one of my suggestions for the church, they need to make some improvements in recruiting people to the order, get more young people interested. And, hopefully I won't be excommunicated for saying this, but if they allow priests to marry there would be no shortage of available applicants.


I was blown away by this church. I was not expecting this to be as ornate as is was. I was thinking this isn't a cathedral, its just the local church, it's going to be simple, but at least I get to go to mass. I was wrong, way wrong. The church is beautiful and very very old. Building began in 1832 and construction continued on and off for many years. The original design was changed a few times as styles changed and new donors were involved, but the entire structure was built from Cork Limestone. Father Sylvester Mahony,( pen name Father Prout) author of the Bells of Shandon which was in my last post, was the main fundraiser for the construction and the furnishing of the church. The church had an informational brochure at the front and it turns out this is actually a very historical church. Annie Moore, the first person to disembark at Ellis Island ever, was baptized at St. Patrick's church in 1874. Frank O'Connor, a famous Irish writer, wrote a humorous short story about his first confession which took place in St. Patrick's.   The churches records have baptisms dating back to 1832, marriages from 1836 and confirmations from 1911.

Relic of Saint Patrick
Above the altar is a replica of The Last Supper which is one of many beautiful works of art in this church. The theme of the church seems to be the four symbols of the Eucharist: the pelican feeding her baby her own blood, the Host and the Chalice, the IHS monogram, and the Lamb of God. These symbols are on each side of the tabernacle, on four large panels around the altar, and on the outside doors.

Row of confessionals
The Honan family were large financial supporters of this church and, as was custom, have many amazing statues and ornate altars. The Holy Family Altar is located just above the family's plot in the church's underground crypt.

The Holy Family Altar
The stained glass is relatively new, ranging from the 1920s to the 1940s, and is very beautiful. I particularly liked the Our Lady of Lourdes depiction(1941) behind the side prayer candle altar to the Virgin Mary.
Our Lady of Lourdes

Tiffany got a picture of me lighting my prayer.
Going to mass was very refreshing after all this travel. Mass always refreshes me and I walk out feeling like I can take on anything. It was especially powerful to be going to church in such an old church in Ireland. Ireland  was the origin of so many Catholic practices and St. Patrick is so highly beloved, it was just awesome. Ok, two religious rants in one post is enough. More Ireland still to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment